Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Chicken!

The thought of cooking a whole chicken has always scared me. Chicken! Recently I decided to venture out into this great big world of cooking a whole fryer. It's not hard at all although I wish my skin would get crispier. If you have any tips on getting crispy skin - please let me know!

Here's what I did:

Poured olive oil over the skin of the chicky and sprinkled Italian Seasoning over it (after I removed the gross neck bag). I also stuck some butter under the skin - for good measure I guess. It got put in a 350 degree oven for 1-1/2 hours. The skin was nice and brown and a little crispy but not crispy crispy.

HELP!!

2 comments:

  1. Pretty sure if you crank your oven (400-450) until the skin is browned (20-30 minutes keeping an eye on it), you can just turn the temp back down to 350 to cook the remainder of the time. This is what I do with our turkey -- I also slather it in mayo (weird, I know, but same oil concept) and seasonings. Butter would also be another substitute. Browning the skin also helps keep in the moisture.

    PS: Cooking the whole chicken freaks me out too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Browning the sides is a little tricky in a deep pan. I've set the turkey on a cookie sheet while baking at a high temperature and transferred it to a roasting pan (with hubby's help of course).

    ReplyDelete