Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwich

When Chris and I got married, my mom made up a recipe book with all of the recipes I grew up on plus a few extra that sounded good. This recipe is one of the "extras". It is great paired up (and dunked into) Tomato Tortellini Soup.

Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwich

4 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick) *Recipe coming tomorrow
8 slices provolone cheese
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2/3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs

Cut a 3 inch pocket in each slice of bread; place a slice of cheese in each pocket (I did it the "old fashioned" way and just slapped the cheese between 2 slices of bread). In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, Italian seasoning, and garlic salt; soak bread for 2 minutes on each side. Coat with breadcrumbs. Cook on a greased hot griddle until golden brown on both sides. *I also cooked mine in the oven for a few minutes to make sure the egg was cooked. A bit paranoid maybe?

1 comment:

  1. If this is one we grew up on, I don't remember it. But I am so trying this. Sounds yummy! (this is a no carb recipe right?) :)

    ReplyDelete