Tuesday, January 3, 2012

'Tis the Season for Soup - French Onion Soup

The other day Sissy texted me and asked what my theme for January was going to be and since I had no idea, she suggested soup. How appropriate! This recipe for Panera Bread's French Onion Soup comes from my Top Secret Recipes book. I would have to disagree that it tastes (or even looks) just like Panera Bread's. The recipe is good, but it just isn't the same. Part of it may be that you actually have to make it yourself.

Panera Bread French Onion Soup

1/4 cup unsalted butter
8 cups sliced white onions (4 to 5 medium onions)
2 14 ounce can beef broth
3/4 cup chicken broth
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon ketchup
1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (We are not a fan of thyme and 1/4 teaspoon is very strong in the soup. I suggest 1/8 teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Couple drops Tabasco pepper sauce

Garnish
Croutons
Butter
Shaved Asiago cheese (or whatever you have on hand)

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add sliced onions and sauté for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often, until onions turn brown.

Add remaining ingredients (but not the garnish) to the pan and stir to combine. Heat soup until it's boiling, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Make croutons for he top of the soup by slicing foccacia bread (or any bread you may have) into 3/4 inch thick slices. Butter both sides of those slices, then cut the slices into bite size cubes. Bake the bread in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes or until crispy. Shave some Asiago cheese by simply dragging a potato peeler over the edge of a wedge of Asiago.

Serve the soup super hot with a handful of croutons floating on top followed by a couple tablespoons of shaved Asiago cheese.

*I used Cuban Bread (recipe coming tomorrow) cut into rounds and put on top of the soup. After sprinkling it with cheese, I placed it in the broiler until the cheese melted. The only change I would make would be to crisp the bread first before putting it in the soup. If you don't, you will have soggy bread like we did. You live and you learn.

Recipe from Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I wish my boys would eat onions! It's much easier than I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete